Say Bye-Bye To Dandruff With These Home Remedies
These flakes of skin over scalp have bothered and irritated each one of us. Often seen by us with surprise, we wonder what did we do exactly that caused this. Commonly known as Dandruff, in medical terms “Seborrhea” it is basically a type of skin inflammation, caused by oil gland over-activity.
Dandruff is the shedding of skin cells from the scalp, followed by redness and itching. It is not contagious and harmful but is unpleasant to get rid of it. It has become a trouble among youngsters and also the people who are conscious for their personal. It looks quiet embarrassing finding dandruff spread all over you shoulders and also the situation become worse when somebody just notice it spreading all over your shoulder and clothes. The most embarrassing thing that could happen when you’re dressed up for a dinner or an interview, is a non-lasting urge to scratch an itchy scalp also known that a cascade of white flakes would follow, onto a jet black blazer- laid bare for all to see.
Dandruff is a medical problem that has managed to unite over half the adult population across the world – beyond gender, age and race. The Scalp disorder has affected almost half of the population at the post-pubertal age. Dandruff peaks in teens and early twenties and also declines with age thereafter. It is rare before puberty, but can be seen in infants in some cases (the probability is quiet low but still the existence counts). The affected has found it a prime cause of social and self-esteemed problems. This leads to both physiological and psychological sickness.
WHAT ARE THE USUAL SYMPTOMS
A white-oily looking flakes of dead skin dot present throughout hairs and spread on shoulders. Itching is also counted as the first symptom of Dandruff which can also lead to red skin followed by dryness because the dandruff breaks the moisture barrier of your scalp, it allows the essential moisture to leak making the scalp dry and tight. It become worse in rainfall and winter and improve in summer.
Cradle cap, a type of dandruff it occurs in babies during infancy. Although parents should remain alert but isn’t dangerous gets clear by itself.
What causes dandruff to occur? We should be aware of those factors so as to prepare ourselves against it.
Some of the major causes as described by dermatologists are as follow:
• Irritated, oily skin (seborrheic dermatitis). The most frequent causes of dandruff, is marked by red, greasy skin covered with white or yellow scales. Seborrheic dermatitis targets the glands which are rich in oil and other areas of the scalp, such as eyebrows, the sides of nose and the backs of ears, the breastbone (sternum), groin area, and also armpits.
• Shampooing inconsistently often. If you don’t shampoo on a regular basis then there is higher possibility of growing dead skin cells on your scalp which leads to its ultimate goal “Dandruff”.
• Malassezia (type yeast like fungus). Malassezia lives on the scalp of many adults for some time; it triggers more skin cells to grow by irritating the scalp. Ultimately those skin cells die and fall of making them white and flaky on your hair, shoulder and clothes. Malassezia feeds on Sebum (i.e. the oily part which is secreted by the sebaceous gland on the scalp) and the dead skin cell which occurs due to the formation of new skin cells. The microbe is harmless, however it turn dangerous when it starts to feed on sebum, breaks down it into fatty acids that is sensitive to scalp in some people. This leads to itchiness and dryness of the scalp and results in dead skin cells gets accumulated as white visible flakes. The effect of the fungus gets low during summer and rainy season due to humidity and excessive heating. However in winters due to cold wind the dryness and the itchiness increases, but the Dandruff is on throughout the year. The reason why the fungus does this is still unknown.
• Dry Skin. Dry skin too contributes into dandruff and the flakes as compared to the oily ones are smaller and stickier.
• Your Diet Plan. Certain food may induce this thing too mainly the foods high in saturated and Trans fats can trigger you sebaceous gland to produce more oil.
• Sensitivity (contact dermatitis). If your scalp is sensitive to certain ingredients then the hair care products can cause itchy red scalp and flakes.
• Stress. Stress doesn’t cause dandruff, but it makes it harder to get rid of it if you already have. People under stress often have impaired immune system which can lead to several other dandruff causing factors.
Apart from all the points mentioned above there are still some factors left on which the presence of Dandruff depends. For an instance this problem as described above does not end, in some cases it occurs throughout the life span of a particular person. Mainly it is a more common in males, researchers do think that male hormones to play an important role in its occurrence. During teenage the hormone levels are high which contribute to the high production of oil or sebum Furthermore, excessive oily skin and hair too makes you prone to more dandruff. People with weaker immunity are more prone – for instance, grownups with Parkinson’s disease and HIV infected people are likely to face this problem.
For dandruff one must consult a Doctor who is expert in hair and skin treatment (Dermatologist). Also it can be controlled by a regular hair care routine. Instead, one can try some easy home remedies too to get rid of it, undoubtedly takes time but can treat the dandruff effectively.
Types of Dandruff
1. Dry scalp
This is one of the main reasons why some people are subjected to dandruff in winters when the skin lost all its moisture. Hot showers worsen the condition even more. In this the Dermatologists prescribes to include nourishing foods to your diet, drink plenty of food and use an anti-dandruff shampoo. Don’t use hair oil as the malassezia feeds upon the sebum.
2. Oily scalp
When the sebum or oil is not cleaned properly from the scalp then it combines with dead skin to produce more dandruff. This oily scalp becomes feeding ground for fungus like malassezia, this condition can be cured by treating the abnormal production of sebum and also by using effective oil removing agent which can clean the scalp regularly.
3. Diseases, allergies and disorders
Skin disorders such as eczema or psoriasis can induce dandruff. You may be allergic to some drug, chemical or food item which can react in to cause itching and flakes on your skin including your scalp. Seborrheic dermatitis is a type of acute dandruff, it usually occurs at the back of the head near the neck region. It may also spread on the rest of the scalp and is sometimes accompanied by itchiness and red patches.
HOME REMEDIES FOR DANDRUFF
To fight all these dandruff ailments there are numerous hair care products which uses chemicals to take down the white flakes, but in mostly the chemical products comes with the side effects too. So now it is really important for you to choose the right ways to fight the scalp problem. The remedy should be easy and long lasting with zero side effects. Some effective home remedies with the procedure are discussed below:
1. Neem. As we all know the Neem has multiple medicinal uses amd is used for many other ailments too. Also known as Indian lilac has antifungal and antibacterial properties.since dandruff leads to the fungal colonization of scalp, it would be a sensible step turning towards this old age remedial plant. It also helps in treating dandruff and hair care problems too.
How it is used?
i. Take a handful of neam leaves and start boiling them in 4 cups of water.
ii. After boiling now let it cool and strain for few minutes,
iii. Now filter it in a bottle or a vessel and use this decoction to rinse hair2 to 3 times a week.
Use a much diluted version otherwise the concentrated one may increase the irritation in the scalp.
2. Coconut oil. Cocout oil helps in moisturizing the dry scalp and proveds reliefe in itching too and due to antifungal properties it helps in eliminating the Dandruff too.
i. Take coconut oil and mix the half amount of lemone juice im it.
ii. Apply it on scalp and massage for a few minutes.
iii. Now after wash your hair after at least 20 minutes.
iv. Apply this mixture two to three times a weeks to get better results.
3. Apple cider Vinegar. The apple cider vinegar’s scalp treatment is effective in getting rid of dandruff . It balanced the scalp’s pH by restoring it, by resisting the growth of yeast. It also wroks as a hair clarifier and helps in cleaning clogged pores and hair follicles.
i. Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
ii. Now mix an equal amount of water and also about 15-20 drops of tea tree oil.
iii. Now apply it on your scalp followed by massage. after a few minutes rinse your hair.
iv. Follow this natural treatment regularly for two or three times a week.
4. Baking Soda it is known as a mild exfoliant, baking soda absorbs excess oil and helps in removing dead skin cells, It can also help in balancing the pH levels on the scalp and can reduce the growth of the fungi that cause dandruff. It also soothes the scalp and reduce redness and itching too.
i. First of all wet your hair and rub baking soda on your scalp.
ii. After a few minutes, rinse your hair well with warm water.
iii. Repeat this remedy once or twice a week for a few weeks to get the perfect results.
Note: do not use shampoo on your hair after using this.
5. White Vinegar. White vinegar is one of the best home treatments for dandruff. It has acetic acid that stops the fungi to grow on your scalp and relieves itching.
i. take three tablespoon of water in a bowl and mix onw tablespoon of olive oil into it.
ii. Now add 2 tablesppons of white vinegar into it and mix it thoroughly.
iii. Take one-half cup of vinegar and add it to two cups of water. After shampooing your hair rinse your hair with this mixture.
iv. The second option is to massage your scalp with a mixture of two parts white vinegar, one part of olive oil and three parts of water. Nearly after 10 minutes, rinse your hair off and shampoo it using a mild one.
Use rather of them once or twice a week to get better results.
6. Olive oil. olive oil is know for its moisturizing ability, also known as natural moisturizer. The regular application of extra virgin-olive oil can repaire the scalp dryness.
i. First of all start heating extra virgin olive oil until it becomes slightly warm.
ii. Now massage olive oil on your scalp and after this wrap up your hair in a warm towel.
iii. Leave it on for minimum 45 minutes or overnight afterwards shampoo and condition your hair.
iv. Repeat this procedure a few times a week.
7. Tea trea oil. beinmg an antifungal component makes tea tree oil a good remedy for the treatment of dandruff.
i. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo while washing your hair. Add one drop of this essential oil per ounce of shampoo.
ii. You can also mix the oil with a few drops of tea tree oil to a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Apply this mixture on your hair and leave it on for about at least 30 minutes or overnight and then wash your hair. Reapeat this once or twice a week.
8. Lemon juice. Lemon juice contains citric acid that fights the fungi which cuases the dandruff. Also helps in relieving itching which is caused by the dandryff.
I. First step is to mix the juice of half a lemon in one-quarter cup of yogurt. Now apply it on your hair and scalp simultaneously. Leave it on for approxx 20 minutes afterwards rinse it off and shampoo your hair.
II. On the other hand, you can simply massage your scalp with the mixture of few teaspoons of lemon juice and a little water. Leave it on for 5 minutes and then rinse it out and shampoo your hair.
Repeat either of these 2-3 times a week.
9. Aloe vera. aloe vera has cooling properties too besides anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, it also mildly exfoliates the skin. It calms the irritates skin downand provide relief from inflammation.
i. Extract some aloe vera from its plant and apply thick transparent gel of it directly on your scalp.
ii. Leave it on for around 12-15 minutes then wash it off with a anti-dandruff mild shampoo.
10. Garlic. Being a natural product Garlic is immensely beneficial as a anti-funga mainly used in its raw form
i. Take one or two clove of garlic, pound it in water.
ii. Now rub these cloves thoroughly on your scalp to get better results, you can also mix some honey and ginger to it to get rid of the smell.
11. Aspirin. It contains salicylic acid which helpful in shedding off the dead skin caused by dandruff.
How it is used?
i. First crush two aspirins to a fine powder and then mix it with ounce of shampoo. Now wash your hair with this mixture, followed by massaging it onto your scalp. Left it for a few minutes and then rinse your hair well with normal water. If you wish, you can wash your hair again with normal shampoo so as to remove the applied powder completely.
ii. Instead of this you can crush three aspirins and mix the powder in one tablespoon of vinegar. Gently massage the mixture into your scalp. Then, leave it in for half an hour and then wash your hair thoroughly with water.
One can also use Listerine to treat dandruff as it also has anti-fungal properties as it is alcoholic in nature.
12. Fenugreek seeds. This herb is highly anti-fungal and has great soothing properties too.
i. Soak two to three tablespoons seeds of fenugreek in water for a night. In the morning, grind them into a fine paste. You can also mix a few spoons of yogurt too, if you want.
ii. Now apply the paste gently all over your scalp and leave it in for a few hours.
iii. Rinse it out with the help of water and shampoo your hair.
iv. Do this remedy once or twice a week.
For the better results one must remain patient and must follow any one of the remedy on the regular basis
One can get rid of the floaky white dead skin cells, which would make him more confident and presentable.